Tuesday 11 June 2013

Waahaay! I've got a new job!!

I am soooo excited tonight as I was offered a new job today!


Just before the half term holiday I learnt that I would be made redundant in the Summer from my job as a Teaching Assistant. It wasn't too much of a surprise as the child I support is leaving to go to middle school. The school, like many, is also facing budget short-comings so there is no spare money to keep me on for September.
At the moment I am only working part-time - 12 hours a week - so I was looking for a post with more hours anyway. With this in mind I had already had an interview for a new job as a Childcare Practitioner at a Pre-school. Although I was told that my interview was good, someone else had scored higher so I was out of luck.  
The following month another post at the same Pre-school came up. I had been assured that they would be glad for me to apply again, however my confidence had taken a knock. Was I too old ? (I'm 49!), did I have too little experience with that age group? Well I had nothing to lose and I really would like the job so....

......now I have a new job for September!! 37 hours a week, term-time only ( so I can still be around for my 14 year old, whether he likes it or not!) and a new challenge that I'm really up for :)
Best of all it means that my husband won't have to go through the humiliation of applying for benefits again when his job finishes at the end of September. (Oh the posts I could write about the UK benefit system!)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Welcome to the world of early years!! I am sure that all though children are children, schools and early years settings are very different.
    And you still get to have the summer holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy :) It's been a while since I worked with such little ones but I'm really looking forward to it!

      Delete